October 18, 2018 | Sudbury, ON
The program and registration information for the North East Geriatric Medicine Refresher Day Conference will be ready to share soon. Follow us on Twitter @NE_SGC for updates.
Please note that photography, audio recordings, or video recordings may be used at this event. By registering, you are providing your consent to be photographed or recorded, and consenting to the use of that photograph or recording for promotional purposes by North East Specialized Geriatric Centre or its host, Health Sciences North.
Registration substitutions are preferred over refunds and will be accepted at any time. Full refunds for cancelled registrations will be provided before September 30, 2017. After September 30, 2017 only partial refunds totaling $75 will be issued.
Our tentative programme includes the following speakers:
- Dr. Janet McElhaney, Sharlene Webkamigad, and Sue Roque: Dementia Care for Indigenous Peoples in northeastern Ontario
- Dr. Lora Giangregorio: Exercise, Strength Training, and Posture Training for Falls Prevention
- Dr. Jeff Myers: Advance Care Planning: Approach and Role Across the Continuum of Care
- Dr. James Downar: Medical Assistance in Dying—The First Year
- Dr. Don Davies and Sue Burns: Discussion Forum—Medications in Frail and Medical Complex Older Adults
- Dr. Jennifer Skelly: Incontinence Management—Strategies for Patients and Caregivers
The Organizing Committee is seeking accreditation by the Continuing Education and Professional Development Office at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. Accreditation will be sought for learning credits through both the Canadian College of Family Physicians and the Royal College of Physicians of Canada. Complete details will be available soon.
Goals of this conference:
- Improve awareness of contemporary evidence and practice for geriatric populations among practitioners in northeastern Ontario;
- Advance current knowledge and skill sets to maximize practice and management of current geriatric case loads;
- Increase awareness of, and collaboration with, regional partners and community resources.
At the end of this conference, learners will be able to:
- Describe advancements in key areas of practice in the care of frail older adults;
- Quickly apply new skills and knowledge directly into practice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a custom map we have put together. Toggle the fly-out button beside the title to view or hide the list of places we have included.
- A reduced registration rate is available for students. Please contact us for details.
- A discounted room rate is available at the Lexington Hotel, which is adjacent to Steelworkers Hall. Please reserve your room by contacting Chris from the Lexington Hotel at 705-675-5602 x 277. Refer to "Geriatric Refresher Day" when making your reservation to access a discounted room rate. Click here to view other hotels in Sudbury, and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have a question or need a recommendation.
- Use of your electronic ticket is preferred over a hard copy (requires compatible mobile device). An electronic ticket will be available to you once your registration is complete.
- This is a paperless conference. Printed conference packages, including programmes, schedules, and speaker notes, will not be provided. Attendees will be responsible for printing the materials they wish to bring to the conference.
- Dietary restrictions and other accommodations will be collected when completing your registration.
- Conference sessions are provided in English only.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
- Driving: Get directions from Google Maps. Parking is available on site.
- Flying: Travel with Porter, Air Canada Express, or Bearskin Airlines to the Greater Sudbury Airport. The United Steelworkers Hall is approximately a 30 minute drive from the airport.
- Drive, hail a cab, or take public transit.
What can/can't I bring to the event?
- We are trying to operate a paperless event. Therefore, laptops and tablets are encouraged.
- Printed conference packages will not be provided. It is up to you to print what you wish to have with you.
- Participants will receive an electronic program. Please print and bring your own if you wish to have a hard copy.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
- Please direct any questions to Kyla Young via email at email@example.com or by phone to 1-866-551-6501.
Is my registration/ticket transferable?
- Yes. Follow the directions provided to you in your confirmation email or with your e-ticket. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Can I update my registration information?
- Yes. Follow the directions provided to you in your confirmation email or with your e-ticket to log back into Eventbrite.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
- No. In fact, we would prefer you arrive with an electronic ticket on your mobile device. If your mobile device is not supported please do print and bring your ticket with you.
What is the refund policy?
- Registration substitutions are preferred over refunds and will be accepted at any time. Full refunds for cancelled registrations will be provided before September 30, 2017. After September 30, 2017 only partial refunds totaling $75 will be issued.
The name on the registration/ticket doesn't match the attendee. Is that okay?
- We would prefer that ticket and registration information is up to date. If someone bought your ticket for you they should have completed the attendee registration information with your personal details. If a ticket was transferred to you, it should have been updated. Please let us know if you have any questions or require assistance.